Despite the abnormal circumstances due to coronavirus school closures, South Lane School District and Cottage Grove High School (CGHS) have found a way to honor their graduating seniors.
Last Thursday, May 21 CGHS administrators announced a graduation plan for Sat., June 6 that will allow seniors to celebrate in their caps and gowns and receive their diplomas while still honoring social distancing guidelines.
The graduation ceremony will consist of three parts: an online ceremony to be held before all other events; a grad cruise to the school ending with diploma pick-up; and an optional picture in front of the school at the end of the cruise.
The online graduation ceremony will begin at 11 a.m. on June 6 and will feature speeches by CGHS valedictorians and principal Kevin Herington as well as the reading of all graduate names. A link to the online festivities is yet to be announced.
Following the online event, students and their family members are invited to congregate – safely in their vehicles – in the back parking lot of CGHS beginning at 1:30 p.m before starting the cruise at 2 p.m.
Vehicles will travel to the front of the school where graduates will receive their diplomas in front of the gym while remaining in their cars. Afterwards, each senior is welcome to exit their vehicle and have a grad picture taken in front of the main school building before exiting the parking lot and concluding the graduation cruise.
Leading up to the ceremony on June 6, CGHS has also outlined several other important dates for seniors and their families:
• Senior scholarship night: online, Wed., May 27 at 6:30 p.m.
• Senior awards night: online, Tues., June 2 at 6:30 p.m.
• Cap and gown handout: Thurs., June 4 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Baby videos: online, Thurs., June 4
In addition to the announced dates of graduation festivities, CGHS has also outlined a number of safety protocols during each stage of the events for graduates and other attendees to ensure that the event complies with coronavirus-related public health concerns.
• Remember to pick up name placard (to be placed in vehicle window)
• Stay inside your vehicle
• Shut off engine once in line
• Follow staff directions
• Travel only with household members
• Someone other than the graduate should drive; diplomas will be handed on the passenger side
• Keep safe distance between cars
• Wear seat belts
• No spectators or parked cars lining the grad cruise route
• No spectator/guest vehicles in cruise
• No spectators/guests at the school
• Stay in car
• No handshakes or hugs
• Wear mask and/or gloves if needed
• Bring hand sanitizer
• Only at the photo station outside main building
• Only grads out of the car for photo