October 27 - Cottage Grove area cemeteries guide
TAYLOR-LANE CEMETERY The Taylor-Lane Cemetery is located about 4 miles south of Cottage Grove off of London Road, on the line of the Henry Wells Taylor and Silas Lane Donation Land Claims. They donated the land in 1876, then in 1947 and 1956 Fred and Nellie Harris donated additional land so a road could be built around the cemetery. Take London Road, 3 miles south of Highway 36 to Harris Drive and right on Nellie, Cottage Grove.
SHIELDS CEMETERY The Shields Cemetery is located at the eastern edge of Cottage Grove, just outside the city limits. It is on the Donation Land Claim William of Judah and Judith Shields, both are buried here. The earliest burials at this location were in the 1860s. From 16th Street, south ½ mile on Shields Road in Cottage Grove.
SEARS CEMETERY The Sears Cemetery is located about 3 miles east of Cottage Grove, off of Row River Road. It is on the line of the Robert Alexander and Joseph Gale Donation Land Claims. “Golden was the Past” tells that Mrs. Alexander picked the spot for her burial before her death in 1853 established it as The Small Country Cemetery. It’s possible that the earliest burial locations for settlers in Cottage Grove are here. 33620 Row River Road, Cottage Grove
SILK CREEK COMMUNITY CEMETERY The Silk Creek Community Cemetery is located 4 & 1/2 miles West of Cottage Grove, Oregon, in Lane County, on the Lorane Highway beside the now closed Silk Creek School and Church. The Royal Cemetery records were destroyed in a house fire. The earliest burial of record was for Mary A. Hams, who died in 1898. Jessie J. Hooker did the surveying in 1947, it was then renamed The Silk Creek Community Cemetery. On road from Cottage Grove to Lorane, opposite junction with Repsleger Road.
BRUMBAUGH CEMETERY About 1860, Samuel Brumbaugh donated the land for the Brumbaugh Cemetery. The first person buried was Janie Lee, sister of Elmer Lee. Later Booth-Kelly Co. gave an acre of land to the cemetery on the north side and R.G. land gave an acre on the south side. From Cottage Grove, take Mosby Creek Road, east of town to 76780 Blue Mountain School Road.
MCFARLAND CEMETERY The earliest grave dates back to 1863, on the John McFarland Donation Land Claim. The Cottage Grove Historical Society helped improve the McFarland Cemetery by designing and building an informational kiosk. This kiosk shares the history of the Native Americans who used the area prior to eastern settlers, as well as settled the area. McFarland Cemetery is situated behind Great Days Early Education turn on Holly Ave off of River Road.
HAWLEY-VEATCH CEMETERY Nearly two dozen pioneers whose gravesites were unmarked or marked poorly. It’s located on a hill above Kenady Lane, about four miles south of Cottage Grove. Funds for a project to maintain the cemetery came from an endowment established by Alsea Hawley,known locally as “Babe,” who left $20,000 to the cemetery association upon her death in 1973. The cemetery began mapping its plot sites in 1900. Go west on Kenady Lane south of Highway 99, go left at first road and proceed uphill south of Cottage Grove.
WALKER UNION CHURCH CEMETERY Founded by Charles Wright who died in Walker, near Saginaw, Aug. 12, 1920. His mother, Matilda Hanks, was the sister of Nancy Hanks, who some confused as Nancy Hanks the mother or wife of Abraham Lincoln, likely an exaggeration by Wright. Wright moved to Oregon and purchased a farm in Walker around 1884, and donated a part of his farm for the Walker cemetery, where he is buried. Walker Union Church, south hillside above Walker.
FIR GROVE CEMETERY Fir Grove was originally organized in 1869 by the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons,Lodge #51, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Oregon Lodge #68. The Masonic and IOOF Cemeteries were also known as Cottage Grove Cemetery. In early 1962, Fir Grove Cemeteries, Inc. was organized as a not-for-profit corporation for the purpose of establishing a perpetual care for the existing plot holders. 2148 Cemetery Road, Cottage Grove.