Residents trying to access the library or community center last week were met with a surprise: a closed sign and locked doors.
The building was shut down on Saturday, August 5 after a gas leak was discovered.
According to Cottage Grove City Manager Richard Meyers, the building was closed and the proper officials called in but after a scheduling mishap, the Northwest Natural Gas company left the facility, finding no city staff there waiting.
The company was again scheduled for Friday morning.
The leak was discovered as coming from a bad regulator for a heating unit that was located on the roof of the building. City staff worked with Northwest Natural staff to repair the damage according to Meyers.
This is the second time this year that the building has been closed due to a gas leak.
Meyers thanked the public in the weekly Friday Update from the city for its patience during the closure and noted the building is open for business.