Since 1992, Taekwondo Hanmadang has been recognized as the leading international competition on the various Taekwondo techniques and skills. TheOregon State Hanmadang is set to return to Eugene, Oregon on May 3-4, 2019. This event is a nationally sanctioned USTC event and a regional qualifier for the US Open International Taekwondo Hanmadang.
Fresh off its successful first year, this exciting and modern martial arts event has received national attention and has inspired other USTC events around the country to follow this model for their own tournaments.
Furthering the tournament’s reputation and reach, the Saturday event will feature coast to coast live broadcast coverage highlights and interviews, shown in North Carolina, California, Illinois, Indiana, and Colorado. The tournament will feature regional athletes, including teams from Montana, Washington, Idaho, and all over Oregon.
The event will bring national and international professional officials and judges. Among them, the Executive Director of the International US Open Taekwondo Hanmadang, Grand Master Doug Fuechsel and Grand Master Nelson De Jesus, Head Official for the U.S. Taekwondo Committee.
“Eugene is proud to support athletes of all kinds and welcomes professional events like the Hanmadang Tournament that benefit our community. These tournaments foster courage, self-discipline, integrity, perseverance and fair play. It was inspiring to watch instructors and high-ranking masters come together to create a positive experience for their students. This tournament brought visiting Masters from up and down the West Coast to enjoy our community for the weekend, exploring our restaurants and microbrew pubs, music venues, museums, galleries, and running and biking trails.” -Mayor Lucy Vinis, Mayor of Eugene, Oregon.
The Oregon State Hanmadang is an uplifting, inspiring, high quality celebration of the history, spirit and future of martial arts and Taekwondo. Creating a focal point for the Pacific Northwest martial arts community, bringing together practitioners of many types of martial arts, giving them a space to connect, compete, and celebrate one another. For more information, go to oshanmadang.com.
Day One: Martial Arts Expo
• Many martial arts styles and schools all coming together to compete, perform, share,
demonstrate and celebrate the martial arts.
• Friday, May 3 from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. at the Northwest Ninja Park in Springfield, Oregon.
• Competition will include an extreme kicking competition, strongest kick contest, world
record power breaking attempts, as well as, individual and team demonstration
competition, and a performance by the University of Oregon’s WuShu Demo Team.
• Off the mat, attendees can interact with vendors, try virtual reality gaming, archery, and
enjoy healthy food provided by Vitality Bowls.
Day Two: Pacific Northwest Regional USTC Hanmadang Tournament
• A regional qualifier for the US Open International Taekwondo Hanmadang.
• Saturday, May 4 from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. at Venue 252 in Eugene.
• Opening ceremonies will begin with a few words from Eugene’s Mayor Lucy Vinis.
• Competition will heat up and include power breaking, creative board breaking, speed
spinning hook kick breaking, high jump front kick elimination events, Korean archery,
demo team competitions, and much more!
• Presenting Sponsor: Live Wire Electric
• Gold Sponsors: 20/20 Armor, Equinox Real Estate Stellar Home Team, Oregon Eye
• Silver Sponsors: Three Rivers Casino
• Bronze Sponsors: Valley River Inn, Eugene Kummooyeh, InEugene Real Estate – Ben
Fogelson, ParaTools, Benchmark Physical Therapy, Zachary B. Corbett, Licensed